Main Purpose (Psychologist)
Providing psychological support to patients according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to improve the patients’ mental health.
- Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment. Informing the patient and his/her relatives about the possible consequences of the illness and the drug treatment to follow and referring patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment and improve the patients condition
- Implementing the Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol, identifying possible victims of SGBV and referring them to the medical team so that they receive the necessary treatment.
- Providing psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health conditions
- Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities. Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behavior during sessions
- Collecting statistical and monitoring data about mental health activities
- Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients’ treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective
- Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities (Counselling)
In addition to Psychologist tasks, the employee can be required to perform Counselling tasks
General accountabilities: Perform counseling sessions with patients and their support/families, following different medical and mental health MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve their psychosocial condition, within the scope of the project.
- Identify the psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs for patients and their support/family
- Carry out, individual counseling, basic psycho educational sessions to patients and their supports/families, in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
- Refer patients to other specialists or other institutions for further assistance, when necessary in order to propose the best support available, discussing cases with the multidisciplinary team (MDT).
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for counseling activities and look after it,
- Keep files and statistics of daily activities and participate in team meetings to share experiences and discuss special cases with other counselors, preserving confidentiality
- Take active part in trainings, supervisions/interventions and support the Patient Support manager when necessary in doing sensitization for MSF staff or external partners about mental health/psychosocial issues.
- Support in defaulter, contact tracing and home assessment where possible
- Empower the patient to take an active role in their treatment with patient centered care, involving the family or support as required, to promote compliance to the treatment
- Working and communicating as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Excellent English, Urdu and Punjabi essential
Priority will be given to candidates from Gujranwala area
Commitment, Health Care, Results,