Perform counseling and/or education sessions to patients, following different medical and mental health MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve their psychosocial condition.
• Identify the psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs for patients
• Actively promote the availability of counselling services and carry out, individual or in group counseling, basic psycho educational sessions, to patients, their families (when needed), in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
• Refer patients to other specialists or other institutions for further assistance, when necessary in order to propose the best support available.
• Participate in the creation of any material needed for counseling activities and look after it,
• Keep files and statistics of daily activities and participate in team meetings to share experiences and discuss special cases with other counselors, preserving confidentiality
• Inform line manager of any problem of any kind arising during the day-to-day activities.
• Take active part in trainings, supervisions/interventions and support the activities manager when necessary in doing sensitization for MSF staff or external partners about mental health /psychosocial issues.
• Discuss difficulties and problems in counselling with supervisor.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
Contribute actively to the MSF identity, values and principles.
Perform other duties in special circumstances or weekend duties if needed, as deemed necessary by his/ her supervisor and/or medical referent.
Specific Code of Conduct:
Read copy of the code of conduct for MH professionals
Ensure no commission or omission on his/her part places the patient at risk, including referring to others when he/she has reached the limit of his/her experience
Does not accept gifts or money from his/her patients or their family for care provided.
Upholds good medical practice, updates his/her knowledge regularly by reading and training.
Maintain patient confidentiality at all time and respect patients as much as possible.
Promote the policies and protocols of MSF; refrain from practicing out of regular working station and organization. Should not prescribe medications outside these policies for local purchase from the bazaar.
Respect the rights of the Patients and caretakers in his/her care to be informed before any procedure or medication is given and the right to decline care or treatment, and the right to have a female family member for support.
Maintain and promote a good attitude and proper manner towards patients, their attendants and the medical staff,
Uphold universal precautions at all times during their practice in MSF medical facility.
Commitment, Flexibility, Teamwork,